It’s that time again! Lidna over at 2nd Cup of Coffee has come up with 12 more questions. I just love her memes. They make me think!
1. Tell me something about your favorite teacher.
My Grandmother was my favorite teacher — and she was a teacher. She taught in a one room school house and changed the children and the community in which she lived. I was amazed and awed by all the people who came forward when Gram died and said that she had made a major difference in their lives.
2. Tell me about one pivotal moment in your life.
Fourteen years I struggled to keep myself sane and our family together while helping my husband, M., deal with his alcoholism. Finally I could not take any more. His mother and I hired an interventionist to come in and talk to him. As the destruction of his life was presented to him, M. remained unmoved. Finally he stood up and said, “Wait. You people keep talking about my drinking problem. The thing is, I don’t have a problem with my drinking. If there’s a problem here, it’s yours.” And that was my epiphany. I know my mouth dropped open and I stared at him in shock for several moments, and then I said, “My problem? Your drinking is my problem?” I laughed. “If it’s my problem, I know exactly how to solve it!” Then I crossed the living room, opened the front door and said, “Get out!” Of course it wasn’t exactly that easy, but the rest was a cakewalk compared to what life had been.
3. About favorite colors–a lot of people will ask you what it is, but I want to know why it is. What feeling or memory does it evoke?
Green — grass green is my favorite color and it brings peace to my soul.
4. What’s a sure sign that you’re getting older?
Aside from these brown spots all over my body, the gray hair and the creeky knees? Loud parties and dancing appeals to me less than quiet dinners with good friends.
5. Please don’t sermonize, but Halloween–is it a yes or no for you?
It is a no for me, but only because of the dangers these days. If it were still safe it would definitely be a yes.
6. What’s your favorite musical?
I can’t decide between Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Guys & Dolls, and White Christmas.
7. Are you more of a city mouse or country mouse?
Country! Though I have spent the last several years living in the city — but soon I am moving rural! Yay!
8. Did you know that it is possible, for a small fee, to name a real star after someone? (It’s true! Google it!) If someone were to name a star for you, would you appreciate it for its whimsy and romance, or would you say, “Are you kidding me? For $19.95 we could have gone to the movie and actually bought popcorn.”
I would appreciate it for the whimsy, definitely.
This question comes from Paula at His Ways Are Not Our Ways:
9. What’s the craziest thing you’ve ever been doing and texted during it? I only thought of this b/c I was about to try to text during my walking video but I didn’t.
I don’t text. Sorry. (I guess THAT should have been my answer to #4.)
10. “It’s not a party unless _______.”
I’m really uncomfortable at it and wish I could go home.
11. When you’re stuck in traffic or a waiting room, what do you do to pass the time? PS: There are no magazines available.
Yo — cell phone video games! And what do you mean no magazines? There’s always a magazine, book or notebook in my purse. I go prepared to entertain myself!
12. If you weren’t yourself, would you be friends with you?
Yes. That wasn’t always true, but these days, I like me.