We’re being invaded! After our big windstorm the other night, I went out to pick up the tree branches and discovered a lawn full of alien life forms.
There were dozens of these “inky cap” fungus otherwise known as Shaggy Manes (from the genus Coprinus).
There were three of these interesting looking Boletes (from the genus Boletus). According to the deer, snails, slugs, and other woodland creatures, these things are quite tasty. The internet agrees that they are edible, but lack taste.
Amoeba said these could be our old friend the field mushroom (Agaricus bisporus) that we recognize from the grocery store, or they could be a deadly poisonous relative and he’d just as soon not taste them to find out.
And for last I saved my favorite alien of all …
… the Orange Peel Fungus (Aleuria aurantia). Isn’t this just cool looking? According to the internet these are edible but not palatable. Amoeba says, “in other words they aren’t really poisonous, but the taste will make you believe they’ve killed you”.