Rock ‘n Roll Fridays ~ Tom Petty
Welcome to Rock ‘n Roll Fridays brought to you by DJ KathyA.Â Rock ‘n Roll Fridays is much like any other “question meme”, but their little “twist” is that each week they pick a singer, band, era or category and choose thirteen related songs.Â Then each question is based on the song lyrics.
Today’s artist is:
1. AMERICAN GIRL: â€œWell, she was an American girl Raised on promises
She couldn’t help thinkin’ That there was a little more to life somewhere elseâ€
Have you ever wanted to live somewhere else? Where?
Uhm, yes. I have lived in Idaho, Washington, California, Montana, Oregon, Nevada and Hawaii (Oahu). I currently live in Friday Harbor, WA and I hope to never move again!
2. BREAKDOWN: â€œHoney, I get the feeling you wont. There is no sense in pretending
Your eyes give you away, Something inside you is feeling like I doâ€¦â€
Have you caught someone in a lie recently?
If I have it must not have been important because I don’t recall …
3. YOU DONâ€™T KNOW HOW IT FEELS: â€œPeople come, people go, Some grow young, some grow cold. I woke up in between, A memory and a dreamâ€
Do you live in the past?
No. I like to visit fond memories from time to time, but I like my life here and now.
4. THE WAITING: â€œThe waiting is the hardest part, Every day you see one more card
You take it on faith, you take it to the heart, The waiting is the hardest partâ€
What have you had to wait for?
Innumerable things. These days I am most often waiting for my significant other ….
5. STOP DRAGGIN MY HEART AROUND: â€œBaby you’ll come knocking on my front door
Same old line you used to use before. That’s the game, well… what am I supposed to do
I didn’t know what I was getting intoâ€
Ever been a sucker?
Have you met my ex?
6. REFUGEE: â€œHoney, it don’t make no difference to me, Baby, everybody’s had to fight to be freeâ€¦â€
Have you ever been in a physical fight with another person?
Yep. Several. Generally when everything but the crying is over I am quite surprised and the only one in the room still standing and/or not cowering in a corner. Â They say I’m not pretty when I’m mad. Luckily it has been years since I’ve done that.
7. LAST DANCE WITH MARY JANE: â€œLast dance with Mary Jane, One more time to kill the pain, I feel summer creepin’ in, And I’m tired of this town againâ€¦â€
Have you ever tried marijuana or another illegal drug?
When I was a teen I smoked some pot with friends. I didn’t think it was any big deal. They were all giggling and laughing. I was nauseous and paranoid. Several hours later at home I developed a horrid rash. I said something to my elder sister and legal guardian about it. She looked at my arm and exclaimed, “You’ve been smoking pot!” I denied it. “Oh no I haven’t!” She said, “Yes you have. That’s the same rash I got when I tried it.”
8. INTO THE GREAT WIDE OPEN: â€œHe met a girl out there with a tattoo too
The future was wide open. They moved into a place they both could afford
He found a night club he could work at the doorâ€
Have you done something on the spur of the moment that worked out fine?
Many, many, many things — especially if there is adventure to be had!
9. HERE COMES MY GIRL: â€œHey, here comes my girl, here comes my girl, Yeah, she looks so right, shes all I need tonightâ€
What do you need besides your significant other tonight?
Right now, nothing. Half the Pacific Ocean is between my love and I, and I just want him to come home!
10. HARD ON ME: â€œMaybe if I tried, I could turn the other cheek, Maybe, but how big do I have to be? I need someone To put their arm around me Shelter me from all harmâ€¦â€
What is the worst thing you have forgiven someone for?
Killing my grandmother.
11. FREE FALLIN: â€œShe’s a good girl, loves her mama, Loves Jesus and America too,Â She’s a good girl, crazy ’bout Elvis, Loves horses and her boyfriend tooâ€¦â€
What are 6 things you love or are crazy about?
Jesus, Amoeba, my family, my camera, San Juan Island, and blogging.
12. EVEN THE LOSERS: â€œBaby, even the losers get lucky sometimes, Even the losers keep a little bit of pride. They get lucky sometimesâ€
Have you ever been a loser?
Divorced. I filed, but that doesn’t mean I won.
13. SHADOW OF A DOUBT: â€œWith that little certain something, she’s a complex kid, And she’s always been so hard to get around. She always likes to leave me with a shadow of a doubt.â€
What is the shadiest advice you have ever been told?
“Oh go ahead.Â No one will ever know.”
Artist next week: SIMON & GARFUNKEL!
Want to play?Â Go visit: Rock ‘n Roll Friday!
Paul Revere & the Raiders
I LOL @ your pot story Quilly! I think my ex made me a bit of a sucker as well! I wish I’d thought of that “no one will know” advice. You have snow yet in WA? Have a great weekend!
Kathy — we’re in Western Washington — actually on an island in Puget Sound. The snow has come and gone. I hope it remains gone.
Thanks for stopping by Quilly. #7, LOL. That’s one heck of a way to get caught. #12, I think it depends on what’s at stake. Sure, Mom didn’t get any money from dad other the child support, which he tried to fight. But we didn’t have to deal too much with him anymore. So it was a good thing. Have a wonderful weekend!
Shawnna — there is no winning in ending a marriage. Dreams have been mangled and murdered. Hearts have been broken. That doesn’t mean I wasn’t much better off after the divorce, especially emotionally.
Glad to see you are playing.
Loved your story about pot.
Sorry to hear about the sadness in your life.
Have a great Friday!
Harriet — in the long run there was a lot more good in my life than bad. As for the bad, What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.
Good choice. I really liked Tom Petty. Been awhile since I listened to him. My favorite song was Free Fallen.
Stacie — I don’t believe I ever bought a Tom Petty album, but I seem to know most of his songs.
Re #1: Sounds like you’re always living somewhere else.
Re # 11: Glad I’m not the only one who included their camera.
(Actually, I put “photography” – but that definitely includes my camera!)
Eric — #1 — adventure calls. And #11 — my camera is my second best friend!
I’d love to live next to Lake Wenatchee or Fish Lake, but I’m pretty sure I’ll never be able to afford it. And your story about #7 made me laugh because of your sister’s final comment! I’ve suspected it would just make me sick (the smell makes me feel sick) so I’ve never wanted to find out the truth. True story.
Karen — I think this would be a meme you’d love. It plays every Friday. Join us!
Comments are closed.