My beautiful, bordered flower-square in a square has five tiny squares at its base. Those squares are each a snippet of strips. I don’t like working with small pieces, which is partly why I choose to work with this pattern. It has a bazillion “out of my comfort zone” elements that I need to tackle.
Have you found my mistake? Apparently “right-side-up” is also an element I need to add to my skill set. As I’ve mentioned before, all these strips run through the quilt from top to bottom and they are supposed to line up. I’ve barely started and I’m already having trouble keeping them in order.
I am also struggling with those tiny pieces. I don’t “seam” straight. It is a good thing this is a scrappy quilt. The wildness of the design will help camouflage my wobbles.
My seam ripper and I have been spending quality time together. Her name is “Dame It,” because that is what I yell whenever I need her.
The “Puss in the Corner” block is actually the “Puss in the Center” of section #1. This part of the section was very easy to put together — and I still had to use my seam ripper because I sewed the two long strips on the wrong side of Puss.
The strips will ru the full length of the quilt, top to bottom. They will be intersected by other blocks. I am trying to keep the strips scrappy and colorful, in the true spirt of Jen Kingwell’s, Gypsy Wife Quilt pattern, yet still have my blocks hold their own amid the chaos. I chose the strips with careful deliberation. Setting out to make things both clash and match is a mental workout. I have a feeling keeping the strips in order from top to bottom may very well provide Dame It with steady exercise, as well.
There are several places in this quilt that call for partial seams. I’ve never before sewn a partial seam. I didn’t find the idea hard to grasp, but the execution was a little trickier. Do you see all the seam intersections there where the partial seam is? That’s what added the “un” to the “seamly.”
All those little pieces, all those seams going every which way, and then a partial seam to boot, made pressing this section a blast. (Not.) Early on, someone in the GWQ sewing group suggested we tack all of our sewn seams down with dots of Elmer’s washable glue. Now I know why. I didn’t use glue, but it might have made attaching the red quatrefoil strip easier.
In case you don’t understand what I’m babbling about, the small green polka dot square and the orange-yellow square are the same size, and are sewn together completely. The red quatrefoil strip has to be sewn to the green polka dot strip in order to attach it to the square in a square block on the far left, however, if I sew the quatrefoil strip the full length of the green polka dot strip, I won’t be able to correctly attach the red and blue pinwheel at their right. That’s why a partial seam was required.
I’m sure I didn’t explain that well. How could I when it is still a jumble in my mind? However, I successfully completed my first partial seam and am hoping that the insight I gained while doing so will make the dozen or so partial seams still to come easier to complete.
I laid the number of strips out called for in section one of The Gypsy Wife Quilt pattern. Colors are completely up to the creator, the pattern gives no concrete guidance. I am struggling to create the traditionally wild and eclectic Gypsy Wife Quilt background without smothering my blocks. I’ve succeeded in keeping my blocks defined, but Amoeba is dissatisfied with the two plain blue strips, and wants me to separate the two red strips. I am “meh” about the blues, but I love those reds together. One person has told me I need to move the yellow strip on the right, and another person told me that they absolutely love the way the right end strips all play together and asked me not to remove the yellow one.
All these strips are making me dizzy. Why don’t you go ahead and share your thoughts on the audition before I stitch them in to a permanent contract?
I looked at the directions on the pattern page and my brain started freaking out. Too many little pieces! Mayday! Mayday! I am well-practiced at making half-square triangles, but the Puss in a Corner block also has 9 tiny squares. I hate working with tiny pieces! Happily, only the fussy cut flower one had to be cut tiny. For the others, I cut two strips, one red, one blue; then I sewed the strips together and sub-cut them to the proper size of the joined pair. That brilliant hack wasn’t my brainchild. One of our wonderful support group admins shared the tip and I snapped it up. When I get more practiced, I will (hopefully) be able to figure out such things for myself.
Getting more practiced at piecing was the primary reason I first became interested in The Gypsy Wife Quilt pattern. The completed quilt sports an incredible array of blocks in a dazzling array of sizes. Making it will give me plenty of practice making a good variety of blocks.
The pattern also calls for a crazy mash-up of colors, which gave me some pause. I was all set to make this quilt in a much tamer color palate, then Amoeba threw in his two cents and said if I skimped on the colors and patterns, it wouldn’t be a true “Gypsy Wife Quilt,” so I hesitantly agreed to step out of my comfort zone. However, as I started gathering the fabrics, I began to embrace the idea. Now I am whole-heartedly going wild. This is going to be one flashy Gypsy Wife.
And Amoeba didn’t just toss his two cents in and walk away. He helped me pick out the fabrics for the two wildest blocks. He added the orange and purple polka dot pop to the double-bordered hourglass block, and helped choose the pink and the gold for the half-square triangles in this block. The three tamer blocks I made by myself.