There are several places in this quilt that call for partial seams. I’ve never before sewn a partial seam. I didn’t find the idea hard to grasp, but the execution was a little trickier. Do you see all the seam intersections there where the partial seam is? That’s what added the “un” to the “seamly.”
All those little pieces, all those seams going every which way, and then a partial seam to boot, made pressing this section a blast. (Not.) Early on, someone in the GWQ sewing group suggested we tack all of our sewn seams down with dots of Elmer’s washable glue. Now I know why. I didn’t use glue, but it might have made attaching the red quatrefoil strip easier.
In case you don’t understand what I’m babbling about, the small green polka dot square and the orange-yellow square are the same size, and are sewn together completely. The red quatrefoil strip has to be sewn to the green polka dot strip in order to attach it to the square in a square block on the far left, however, if I sew the quatrefoil strip the full length of the green polka dot strip, I won’t be able to correctly attach the red and blue pinwheel at their right. That’s why a partial seam was required.
I’m sure I didn’t explain that well. How could I when it is still a jumble in my mind? However, I successfully completed my first partial seam and am hoping that the insight I gained while doing so will make the dozen or so partial seams still to come easier to complete.
I laid the number of strips out called for in section one of The Gypsy Wife Quilt pattern. Colors are completely up to the creator, the pattern gives no concrete guidance. I am struggling to create the traditionally wild and eclectic Gypsy Wife Quilt background without smothering my blocks. I’ve succeeded in keeping my blocks defined, but Amoeba is dissatisfied with the two plain blue strips, and wants me to separate the two red strips. I am “meh” about the blues, but I love those reds together. One person has told me I need to move the yellow strip on the right, and another person told me that they absolutely love the way the right end strips all play together and asked me not to remove the yellow one.
All these strips are making me dizzy. Why don’t you go ahead and share your thoughts on the audition before I stitch them in to a permanent contract?
I looked at the directions on the pattern page and my brain started freaking out. Too many little pieces! Mayday! Mayday! I am well-practiced at making half-square triangles, but the Puss in a Corner block also has 9 tiny squares. I hate working with tiny pieces! Happily, only the fussy cut flower one had to be cut tiny. For the others, I cut two strips, one red, one blue; then I sewed the strips together and sub-cut them to the proper size of the joined pair. That brilliant hack wasn’t my brainchild. One of our wonderful support group admins shared the tip and I snapped it up. When I get more practiced, I will (hopefully) be able to figure out such things for myself.
Getting more practiced at piecing was the primary reason I first became interested in The Gypsy Wife Quilt pattern. The completed quilt sports an incredible array of blocks in a dazzling array of sizes. Making it will give me plenty of practice making a good variety of blocks.
The pattern also calls for a crazy mash-up of colors, which gave me some pause. I was all set to make this quilt in a much tamer color palate, then Amoeba threw in his two cents and said if I skimped on the colors and patterns, it wouldn’t be a true “Gypsy Wife Quilt,” so I hesitantly agreed to step out of my comfort zone. However, as I started gathering the fabrics, I began to embrace the idea. Now I am whole-heartedly going wild. This is going to be one flashy Gypsy Wife.
And Amoeba didn’t just toss his two cents in and walk away. He helped me pick out the fabrics for the two wildest blocks. He added the orange and purple polka dot pop to the double-bordered hourglass block, and helped choose the pink and the gold for the half-square triangles in this block. The three tamer blocks I made by myself.
Actually, this pinwheel block isn’t out of control. All the lady bugs are doing as requested. My colors are crisp and complementary. My points are reasonably good. I’m glad I didn’t have major problems with this block because I’ll be making a lot more of them before I finish this quilt.
We are making The Gypsy Wife Quilt in sections. I have one more block to make for section one, and then I’ll pick out my background strips and stitch it all together.
The Gypsy Wife Quilt is a pattern by Jen Kingwell. The quilt is wild and colorful and complicated to make, which you will no doubt see as we go along. I became interested in the quilt about a year ago, but didn’t know if my skills were polished enough for the challenge. Happily, I stumbled across someone on Facebook who was starting an online Gypsy Wife Quilt support group. It is called the Gypsy Wife Quilt Along 2019, and it is not too late to join us. We are working on one section of the quilt every month for the next ten months. The admins have put together some awesome supports for section one.
And that’s block four, pinned down; and a look at what’s to come.
As you can see, I do learn. My lovely flower is centered beautifully in the middle of my block. Even so, this block bugs me. The lady bugs are supposed to be marching around the block counter clockwise, but I used all of my “pay attention” on getting the flower just ‘sew’ and that’s why the lady bugs at the top of the block are facing the wrong direction. I could take it apart and turn them around, but as scrappy as this quilt is going to be, the direction of one little strip of lady bugs really isn’t going to make much difference.
So far, this is my favorite block. The flowers … the colors … perfection. Third block squared away.