Itâ€™s that time again! Lidna over at 2nd Cup of Coffee has come up with 12 more questions. This is her 14th Dozen. I just love her memes. They make me think!
1. Which Wizard of Oz character are you most like?
The Scarecrow â€“ if I only had a brain!
2. When you’re deciding what you’re going to wear each morning, which item do you select first? Why?
My under clothes â€“ because thatâ€™s what I put on first. It could be minutes or hours before I worry about the rest.
3. What kind of animal do you think the world could live without?
4. How many Christmas trees are in your home?
Nada. Zip. Zilch. I will string lights on my window, but it has been years since Iâ€™ve decorated a dead tree in my living room.
5. Would you prefer to be emotionless if it mean you didn’t have to feel a heartbreak?
No! To know love is to know God.
6. Do you ever experience holiday let-down or depression?
I experience a winter let down â€“ Seasonal Affect Disorder â€“ but it isnâ€™t the holidays per se that causes my depression, it is the removal of sunlight.
7. Do you like Michael Jackson’s music?
Some yes, some no.
8. Why is it that we never judge people who have their teeth fixed for cosmetic reasons, but every other cosmetic procedure has a stigma?
I donâ€™t judge. I donâ€™t ask. It is none of my business either way.
9. Enjoy horseback riding?
Seven times Iâ€™ve been on a horse. Seven times I have fallen off. I donâ€™t recall enjoying that, no.
10. Shoes–practical or stylish?
Yes. Depends on where Iâ€™m going and what else Iâ€™m wearing.
11. What was the name of your first pet? Feel free to post a pic.
Smokey â€“ a Siamese cat. She had her kittens in my bed â€“ and my hair â€“ when I was three.
Itâ€™s that time again! Lidna over at 2nd Cup of Coffee has come up with 12 more questions. Â This is her 13th Dozen. Â I just love her memes. They make me think!
1. Are you sticking to traditional Thanksgiving foods this year, or are you being culinarily adventurous?
Yes to both. We are having the traditional turkey, gravy, stuffing, potatoes mashed, etc. PLUS I am treating my friends to some Tofurkey Jones Soda (in fact I have put this out as a meme challenge to others) AND I am trying a couple of new recipes for old favorites (Pecan & Pumpkin pies).
2. Tell me something concrete that you’re thankful for. (Something you can literally touch, see, etc., not a concept like “hope.”)
I am thankful for my Amoeba.
3. You knew the flip side was coming: Share about something intangible that you’re thankful for.
God’s love and grace.
4. Share one vivid Thanksgiving memory. It doesn’t have to be deep or meaningful, just something that remains etched in your memory.
When my cousin Patty and I were little we would steal black olives from the relish dish — one for each finger. Then we’d run and hide and eat them one-by-one!
5. What is one thing that you know beyond a shadow of a doubt is going to happen this Thanksgiving because it always does, year after year?
I eat too much. Duh.
6. Do your pets get any left-overs?
7. Does your family pray before the big meal? If so, do you join hands while seated, stand, repeat a formal prayer or offer a spontaneous prayer? Who does the praying?
Does my family pray? Yes. Do the people we are inviting to our home? I know for a fact one does not. I’ve not yet decided how we’re handling this. Probably with a moment for silent thanks.
8. Will you be watching football in the afternoon? If not, what will you be doing?
No football. Laughing with friends.
9. There are two distinct camps of people on this issue: How do you feel about oysters in the dressing/stuffing?
It depends on who makes the dressing. The only oyster dressing i have ever liked was my Aunt Aldy’s, and she is no longer with us.
10. Do you consider yourself informed about the first Thanksgiving?
Yes. I know what foods we eat they probably didn’t, and the true story of the pilgrim’s suffering and the native’s very slow, skeptical & cautious decision to help.
11. Which variety of pie will you be enjoying?
Pecan and Pumpkin, at the very least.
12. Do you feel for the turkey?? (This is a humorous throw back question related to the 12th question in another Random Dozen!)
Nope. I didn’t have to kill it. (That’s probably a bad thing.)
Itâ€™s that time again! Lidna over at 2nd Cup of Coffee has come up with 12 more questions. Â That’s 144 now, all totaled. Â I just love her memes. They make me think!
1. If you could master one sport, what would it be?
2. When you make a major purchase, do you go with your gut instinct, or do you do research to make an informed decision?
Yes. I research to eliminate known lemons, then I go with my gut for the final selection.
3. There is an old kids’ game that says you can find out what your movie star name would be by using your middle name as your first name and the name of the street you grew up on as your last. What is your movie star name?
4. Would you rather give up your favorite music or your favorite food?
Music. I’ve been homeless & hungry. It is sad to live without music. One can’t live without food.
5. There are two types of banana preferences. One is pristine yellow, almost to the point of being green; the other is spotty and more ripe. Which is your preference?
That depends, am I eating it or making Banana Bread?
6. Your favorite tree is?
My favorite tree still stands only in my memories — and memoirs.
7. On a scale of 1-10, how tech savvy are you?
8. Has H1N1 touched your family?
Yes, my cousin Linda had it. She was quarantined in her home home and saw no one but her husband for over two weeks. When we spoke she said that those two weeks were severely testing 28 years of marital bliss.
9. Are you an analytical person, or do you just accept things the way they are without questioning or scrutinizing?
Who wants to know the answer to this question? Why is s/he asking? What is s/he hoping to gain? Where is this information being kept? When do I have to decide whether or not I’m answering?
10. Is your personality more like that of a dog, cat, or Koala?
Cat. Sweet, friendly, occasionally haughty, with hidden claws. Â And, (thank you Rosidah), Blogthings agrees!
You Are a Cat
You are very independent and reclusive. No one really understands you, and you like it that way!
You are quite clever and ingenious. You can get yourself out of any sticky situation.
You are confident and cool tempered. You know you have many advantages and resources to draw from.
No matter what life throws at you, things always seem to work out your way.
11. Do you keep in touch with friends you made years ago?
Yes! I still contact grade school & high school friends regularly.
12. You are checking out at a grocery store. In the express lane, there are more people than the regular lanes, but of course, their load is less than those in the regular lanes. Which lane do you choose (assuming you qualify for the express lane) and why?
The wrong one. Because that’s just how my life goes.
Jenn from, You Know â€¦ that blog?, hosts Silly Haiku Wednesday.
This week’s theme is Spontaniety.
What’s around the bend?
That street looks interesting.
Lost again. Damnit!
Itâ€™s that time again! Lidna over at 2nd Cup of Coffee has come up with 12 more questions. I just love her memes. They make me think!
1. What was the last song you listened to?
2. Have you ever had â€œbuyerâ€™s remorseâ€ over anything?
Oh yeah — almost every time I get a hair-cut! Can’t take it back, either!
3. What is something in your life that you are thankful for now that you didnâ€™t think you would be at the time of the event? (Something that seemed ill-timed, inconvenient or hurtful which turned out to be a good thing)
Shortly after I wed, my (now ex-) husband and I ended up homeless in western Montana in the winter. Can you say cold? M.’s boss went bankrupt and with it went our livelihood and our home — provided through the job. At the time M. was owed 2 months back pay. We ended up with about $10.32, our car and a half-tank of gas. I learned to survive and came to understand my own strength and competence. That created me to be the strong woman I am.
4. Do you watch the Macyâ€™s Thanksgiving Parade every year? If so, do you have a favorite float or balloon?
No and no.
5. Share a quote, scripture, poem or lyric which has been an inspiration to you lately.
The New Testament has been translated into Hawaiian Pidgin.
I like God our Fadda an da Boss Jesus Christ do plenny good tings fo you guys, an make you guys hearts rest inside. Galatians 1:3
I like this verse because it reminds me that Jesus is The Boss, and it is God that makes my heart rest inside. Â This week, I have needed that reminder more than once.
6. This is meant to be a fun question, and this is a G-rated blog, but please share a â€œguilty pleasure,â€ something that you enjoy thatâ€™s probably not the most edifying, time-worthy or healthy thing you could be indulging in. Did I mention–G rating?
You mean like sitting here on my tush blogging all day?
7. What Thanksgiving food are you looking forward to?
No one particular food, but the sitting down time and the ambiance of the day itself. The food interests me more the day after Thanksgiving when I make my favorite turkey/stuffing/cranberry sauce sandwiches.
8. What is your favorite book to read to children, or what was your favorite childhood book?
The Paper Bag Princess, by Robert Munch is my favorite read-aloud ever!
9. Do you collect anything? (Feel free to post a photo.)
Uhm, I collect memories.
A Hawaiian Sunrise
10. Gift bags or wrapping paper?
Oh, I am quite willing to accept a gift festooned in either.
11. Share an after-school memory from when you were younger. What was your routine like on an average day?
Memory? Â Dark Shadows. Remember that show? I was forbidden to watch it, but no one was home to stop me. Watch it I would, and then I’d have horrid nightmares. At that time power cords unplugged from the back of the sets as well as from the wall. Gram started taking the television cord to work with her to keep me from watching the show at home — so I would just go to my friend Nancy’s and watch it.
12. True story: Once, in a job interview, I was asked this question and told there would be no clarifying; I simply had to answer the question: â€œWhen youâ€™re fishing, do you feel for the fish?â€ So what about you? When you’re fishing, do you feel for the fish??
Yes. I always feel a bit sorry for it when I kill it. However, I never feel sorry for it while eating it.
Itâ€™s that time again! Lidna over at 2nd Cup of Coffee has come up with 12 more questions. I just love her memes. They make me think!
1. It’s early morning, about 2:00AM, and you’re driving home. You come to a red light and sit there. There is no one in sight for miles around. Do you wait it out or run the light?
I wait. If I were to run the light a cop would materialize right there on the street corner and give me a mega ticket. I never get away with breaking the rules so I don’t even try anymore.
2. If you had the chance to re-do the last 24 hours, would you change anything?
3. When you reply to someone’s comment on your blog, do you reply in your comments or go to her blog and comment? (Or email her)
First off, I reply to the guys, too. Generally I reply on my blog. The other person’s comments should be about his/her posts, not about mine. Occasionally I send an email. It depends on the nature of the question.
4. Your favorite Disney movie is:
The wonderful, multicultural, Cinderella. AND, Pirates of the Caribbean (1st).
5. Do you recycle?
6. Games of strategy or games of chance?
Neither. Word games.
7. Do you have any recurring dreams?
Not anymore. Hooray!
8. What did you learn from your first real job?
I was fired. From that I learned that starting time wasn’t a suggestion, it was an expectation. I got my act together after that and have never again been fired.
9. Do you buy or borrow most books?
Buy. I do not care to return them if I like them.
10. What fashion trend of the past did you say you’d never wear again but did?
Hair: Bangs. Shoes: High heels. Clothing: wide legged pants.
11. When do you start Christmas shopping?
We don’t mega shop. Last year I gave Amoeba a leather belt. He gave me a hardback novel I’d been wanting. Christmas isn’t about presents and we refuse to participate in the madness.
12. Have you ever been so happy that you literally jumped up and down for a few seconds? If so, what was the occasion?
Not too long after my divorce, I purchased a car at a police auction. When the auctioneer said, “Going, going, Gone!” and brought that gavel down, I hopped across the lot to pay for my prize.
To provide the best experiences, we use technologies like cookies to store and/or access device information. Consenting to these technologies will allow us to process data such as browsing behavior or unique IDs on this site. Not consenting or withdrawing consent, may adversely affect certain features and functions.
The technical storage or access is strictly necessary for the legitimate purpose of enabling the use of a specific service explicitly requested by the subscriber or user, or for the sole purpose of carrying out the transmission of a communication over an electronic communications network.
The technical storage or access is necessary for the legitimate purpose of storing preferences that are not requested by the subscriber or user.
The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for statistical purposes.The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for anonymous statistical purposes. Without a subpoena, voluntary compliance on the part of your Internet Service Provider, or additional records from a third party, information stored or retrieved for this purpose alone cannot usually be used to identify you.
The technical storage or access is required to create user profiles to send advertising, or to track the user on a website or across several websites for similar marketing purposes.